29 Sep Use Google+ Collections [Social Media Tip]
Have you tried the Google+ “Collections” feature? It lets users organize content by topic (something like Flipboard). Google+ Collections are a great way to attract readers to specific content, creating a really engaged following.
Some things to consider when starting a Google+ Collection:
- Collections can be set to public or private. Public posts are seen by everyone (and you have the choice to have anyone who adds you to circles automatically follow your collection) while private collections will only be seen by the circles you’ve included. Choose wisely as this setting cannot be changed later. What you can do is adjust who is in or out of the specific circle you’ve shared your collection with.
- You can add your old posts to a new collection or add new posts to an existing collection. Three ways to go about this.
- Click on the arrow on the upper right hand side of your existing Google+ post. Click “Move to Collection” and choose the collection you’d like the post moved to.
- Share the post from your “Posts” page to the specific collection.
- Create the post like you would any other but choose the specific collection when posting. Keep in mind: that if you share a post to a collection, you will not be able to share to another Google + circle.
- Each Google+ Collection can be customized with:
- It’s own link. Perfect for sharing and collecting more followers.
- It’s own header image. Perfect for branding or calls to action.
- It’s own tag line. Perfect for letting followers know exactly what to expect in the collection.
A few ideas on how to use Google + Collections:
- Create special collections for your events. You can keep those following the collection up to date with event news, offer special discounts or even get some engagement going before the event
- Create a collection of snackable content. In my case that’s social media tips 🙂 Here’s mine. It’s in the works – but I’ll be filling this up with tips from my website. This is a good way to give your visitors a taste of what’s on your website or blog before they even get there.
- Curate a collection of posts from other brands. This can be based on a specific topic like “Social Media News” or can take more of a resource angle like “Our Favorite Blogs”. Show your followers your with it when it comes to news in your industry. And remember that with individual links, you can drive traffic to your Collections.
- Teasers and previews. Make your followers feel special. You can create a private Google+ Collection of content previews, or share early access links.
Google+ Collections gives your audience an opportunity to be specific about the content they have streaming on their feeds. Although that sounds a little constraining at first, Collections can be used for providing extra value to followers, or to create a strong community surrounding specific topics and events.
If you have any questions about Google+ Collections, let me know in a comment below!