20 Jan Use Traditional Media to Grow Your Social Audience
Being surrounded by digital marketing, it can be easy to forget that traditional forms of media are still alive and well and reach billions of people. More “traditional” forms of media are the perfect avenues to kick off an organic audience that is already interested in what you have to stay. Read on to learn how you can use traditional media to grow you social audience.
Over half of the world’s population* is still completely offline, so I don’t really buy the “print is dead” and “traditional media” is done thing (completely). These billions of offline people still rely on commercials, billboards, magazines and more “traditional” forms of marketing and branding. Of course print has taken a huge hit, but the complete death of physical materials won’t be here tomorrow.
Here are a few ways you can use traditional media to increase your social media audience:
- Ads: If you are a publication or magazine, use a page to let your subscribers know that you’re online! They are already reading your content, so these people are more likely to seek you out online – you know so they can read your articles on their Facebook app. Many brands are also taking to television ads, just to ask their audience to engage with them online.
- Snail Mail: Got a newsletter that gets sent out in the mail? or anything you send customers in the mail? Slip a card with all your social media channel links, and ask your customers to engage with you – let them know what your hashtag is. Maybe get really crazy and create a social media discount tab on Facebook, let them know on the card that there will be a social media discount on your page until next week. All you have to do is have awesome content for them to scroll through – if they like it, they’ll like you.
- Brick and Mortar: If you have a storefront, or restaurants your windows are your best advertising asset. I have to come through your door to get in and out of your establishment or maybe I pass your window on the walk to work – why not let the customers that visit your store on a regular basis that they can find you online with some window clings?
- Events: Events are a great place to use more traditional marketing and branding methods like take aways, table tents, and branded items. How fun?!
- Experiential or “guerilla” marketing: If your company is already involved in using experiential events or campaigns, integrate social media. Social media can support the campaign, you can use it to create a contest or promotion to increase the digital footprint of the campaign or to use social media itself to surprise and delight them further than your stunt did.
Think of your social media channels as an opportunity to give your customers “added value” – a little more because you appreciate them. Social media is where they get to interact with each other, engage with you, and get to know your brand a little better- this is where you can begin to make them fall in love with you.
Traditional media has worked in the past and it still works now. Get the best of both worlds and show your audience that you’re tech savvy too. Increase your organic growth with fans that are much more likely to engage with and share your content because they’re already interested. The rest is up to you and your content.
I only mentioned a few ways to use traditional forms of marketing to grow your social media audience, but I’d love to hear what you’ve done if I didn’t mention it in my post, leave it in a comment below.
Thanks for the inspiration Marissa!