06 Dec 6 Steps To Strengthen Your Social Media Strategy for 2019
2018 has flown by! I wanted to give you all a simple breakdown on how you can get ready for the new year with this list go 6 steps you can take to strengthen your social media strategy for 2019. Don’t forget to download my social media strategy checklist so you can have it handy and ready to fill out when you go through the process. Let’s get started.
6 Steps To Strengthen Your Social Media Strategy for
1. Review How You Current Use Social Media
Step 1 to strengthen your social media strategy at any point will be to review how you’re currently using social media. Really take a step back, remove yourself and acquire an outsiders perspective. You can ask yourself the following questions:
- Which social media networks are you currently on?
- Are they still relevant to your brand goals?
- Which social media networks are driving the most relevant traffic or conversions for you?
- Which social media networks are a time suck?
As hard as it may seem, it may be time to give some networks up. It’s better to concentrate on the ones that are working, and using their features to your best advantage as opposed to wasting time, energy and possibly money on useless ones. Consider quitting a social media network if:
- It’s been a while, and you’re still talking to yourself. Building a strong social media following is a process, and it takes time. But if everything else has taken off and one network is lagging – you may not have an audience there.
- You’ve tried strategies from A-Z. Nothing changes. Sometimes, one platform lags because you’re posting in the wrong format, or the wrong time etc. But if you’ve worked out all those kinks, and experimented with your strategy (and given it time) and still nothing? it could be time to say “bye”.
- Not even an expert can help. If you’ve hired a qualified expert, and even they can’t work out the problem – definitely spend your time on something else.
To find out what networks you should actually be spending your time on there are a few things you can do:
- Ask your audience where they hang out. You can do this via a survey or as social media posts.
- Check out where your competition is active
- Pay attention to the networks giving you the best results
- Think about which social media networks align with the type of content you have the capacity to create. For example, if you don’t have the capacity to create videos – maybe YouTube isn’t the best option for you.
Another aspect of reviewing how you use social media is to determine things you would like to change or explore. Wether that’s re-branding your accounts, giving them a new theme or trying out new forms of visual content there are always aspects to play with when it comes to your online presence. Don’t forget to include these when you plan your social media strategy for 2019.
2. Optimize Your Social Media Networks
The next thing you want to take a look at to strengthen your social media strategy in the new year may seem over simple: optimize your social media profiles and create a good social media bio. Make sure your profile and header images are clear and up to date, include keywords in your “about” sections, and make sure any links in your bio are relevant and working. For a full list on how to optimize your bio you can read this post -> The Importance Of A Good Social Media Bio (& How To Create One)
3. Identify Your Future Goals
Okay, after you’ve taken a look at what you’re currently doing, you decided what networks to keep and which to cut, it’s time to set some goals for yourself! Take some time to look at your analytics (which you probably already did to determine which social media networks are working). From there you can asses where you are, and therefore set goals for where you want to be. Goals don’t have to be super complicated. One can be going from posting 3 times a week to 4 times a week, or maybe driving 5 more downloads a month from social media. Click here to read about 3 social media goals you can set for your business and learn how to track them.
4. Set Up A Content Schedule
A big part of creating a social media strategy that works for your business is figuring out what your core social media schedule will look like. A social media or content schedule will help you create consistency and retention, fill in any content gaps, figure out what works and what doesn’t work for your audience, and finally – it will help you not tear your hair out in frustration from looking for what to post. You can learn about even more benefits to creating a content schedule here: Why You Should Create A Core Social Media Schedule (And How To Do It)
5. Don’t Forget Video Content
One thing you cannot forget to include to strengthen your social media strategy for 2019 is creating more videos! This upcoming year there will be an even stronger emphasis on videos, but more specifically Instagram Stories and IGTV. This is because making your way into your follower’s feeds has become a little more difficult, and I don’t know about you but Instagram Stories are just so easy to see and digest – they are short and sit at the top of the homepage and you can tap your way through a bunch of them.
Another aspect I really like about Instagram Stories is just like the name implies, the tool allows you to really tell a story and go more in depth. It gives you the opportunity to connect with your audience. What I like about IGTV is that it also lets you provide deeper content for your audience.
6. Analyze, Rinse Repeat
Last but not least, to have a strong social media strategy you’ll have to keep up recording on your analytics. If you know me in my professional life, you know I’m absolutely obsessed with analytics, and you’d be surprised as to how often they are overlooked. You’ll want to keep track of your followers but more importantly keep track of reach, impressions and engagement. I’ve created some plug and play analytics trackers you can see here to help you with what metrics to track.
Those are 6 simple ways you can get on the path to strengthen your social media strategy for 2019. For additional resources to help you get started, make sure you check out my social media strategy checklist here. If you have any questions please let me know in a comment below.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.